Area & Inn History

Property History
This farm, sold by the heirs of Dr. James McHenry in April 1868 to the Glotfelty Family, was purchased (304 acres) by Jonas Glotfelty from his father, William Glotfelty, in December 1887. “Jonas (Glotfelty) became the owner of the McHenry farm; He resided in the John McHenry log house until he built the present ample farm house on the same site which now stands at the head of the Buffalo Marsh Branch of Deep Creek Lake.” Documentation found behind plaster walls indicates construction of the house was 1889-1891.

Jonas Glotfelty retired from farming in 1924 at age 80. After selling off 55 acres to the Youghiogheny Electric Co. for the new hydroelectric lake, Jonas gave the farm to his son Brison, in return for life support of both parents. The deed is very detailed as to the quality of the support! Brison sold the farm to John Kurtz in 1926, who divided the house into two living units. The Kurtz’s used one on lake visits while the other was rented to the Spears family who worked the farm. Tragically, John Kurtz’s young daughter drowned in the lake, one reason the Inn is not suited to young children. On Labor day 1995, during renovation, Doris Spears Friend, of nearby Friendsville, visited. We were treated to her recollections of her childhood there, with 10 siblings, during 1926-1939.

Sam Leff, Owner of Pittsburgh’s Seventh Avenue Hotel, bought the farm and immediately renovated the house with its first electrical, plumbing and central heating systems. These mechanical systems were completely replaced in 1995. The 1939 renovation also included the great room, (opened from two rooms), the stone fireplace, all the chestnut beams paneling and doors, the stone well house and porch piers and the spruce trees.

Sam Leff sold the farm to Charles Arden May in 1943, who proceeded to sell off most of the land, and to establish a boat house and tavern in the large bank barn. The barn sat on the lakefront, two houses from the Inn, until it burned in the mid 1960’s. Arden May put in the primitive Marsh Hill Road running down the lake a half mile. He subdivided both sides of the road into about 75 tiny 60′ wide lake front and lake access lots and sold them between 1943 and 1946. The price -$200 each! Many of the small cottages on Marsh Hill Road were built by those early vacationers.

Most of the farm lying across today’s Marsh Hill Road was sold in the mid 1940’s. This land includes Wisp Ski Area and Wisp Golf Course. Helmuth Heise, from Austria via Pittsburgh, acquired the site by long term lease, developed the ski area and opened in 1955 with a rope tow and no snow making equipment. The golf course came later, as did expansion of the ski area.

Arden May sold off the house and last 25 acres in 1949 but was forced to quickly foreclose on the delinquent note. He re-sold the property to James and Robert McCann in January 1950. The McCann brothers, Pittsburgh tavern owners (McCann’s, on the South Side) used the house for vacationing with their families during the 1950’s, 60’s and 70’s. The McCann’s built a miniature golf course in the area surrounded by today’s Lake Pointe Drive. The house saw little use during the 1980’s and early 90’s. All but 9.6 acres was sold off during the 1980’s. The McCanns sold the house to Washington, DC residents George and Linda Pettie in March 1995 and renovation into the Lake Pointe Inn, with 8 guest rooms, began in May 1995. The Inn opened in January 1996 during one of the coldest, snowiest winters on record. The area had -15º F and received 213 inches of snow that winter. Typical snow fall is about 100 inches annually.

The remaining 9.6 acres was developed into the Lake Pointe community by the Petties, the Fords, the Freidmans and the Raileys, of Railey Realty. Today’s houses were built by the lot buyers

The Building and Renovation

The 24′ thick basement foundation is of massive shaped native sandstone. Upon the foundation is set a heavy semi-balloon framed structure. All framing material is rough cut native chestnut and hemlock. The rough sawn 1″ x 10 – 24″ diagonal subsiding boards are uniquely installed on the inside of the wall framing. The exterior weatherboard was then applied directly to all studding. Some of the dimension lumber was cut with the (usually) pre-civil war reciprocating sash saw while the rest was produced by the then modern circular saw. In keeping with traditional Mennonite frugality, ornamentation details were minimal.

Exterior doors, and most room doors, are distinctive grooved & mortised chestnut plank attached by wood or iron straps. Windows are wood double hung 2 over 2. All guest room windows were rotten and replaced, but 15 in the common areas have been restored, nearly all with original glass.

Most exterior features and architecture were saved and restored during the 1995 renovation and conversion to an Inn. One exception is the weatherboard siding. In 1939, asphalt composition (“insul-brick”; i.e.: fake brick) was clad over the weatherboard. Removal of the asphalt panels revealed weatherboard far too damaged, distressed, deformed and patched to permit restoration. The renovation included new wood weatherboard.

In addition to the foundation, native stone enhances the building in the form of a massive 9 foot wide stone chimney and 16 distinctive stone porch columns.

The interior features a large parlor with open chestnut post & beam timbering and “wormy” chestnut plank walls and ceilings. The 1995 renovation saved these, along with 15 interior chestnut grooved plank and mortise doors. The 2 stairways to the second floor were also saved in the original locations.

Although renovated into a B&B Inn, the original floor plan, with common rooms on the first floor and bedrooms on the second floor, was maintained. The only interior plan/partition changes were those involving the addition of bathrooms. The original walk up attic was finished into the Garrett & Savage rooms with no alteration to roof lines or plane. The attic stairway was moved forward 4′ to gain head room. The dining room, with its chestnut wainscoting, remained the dining room. Guest rooms are named after people and places important in the history of the property and area.

There is one very distinctive outbuilding. The stone well house, dating from 1939, is built entirely of native stone, including the gable roof, with no wood framing, steel or concrete!

According to Matthew Story Sr., a local resident who worked on this house at the time, the building experienced modernization in 1939 when electric, heating and plumbing systems were installed. These systems were 100% replaced with the 1995 renovation. Matt’s son, Mathew Story Jr., assisted with the 1995 renovation of the old house into the Lake Pointe Inn.

During the 1980’s, this building was seldom used and somewhat neglected allowing deterioration of the more exposed windows beyond feasible restoration. The asphalt fake brick siding also was badly deteriorated, not original and was unworthy of salvage. Fortunately, the previous owners installed a high quality standing seam metal roof, replacing the badly deteriorated original slate, so interior decay did not occur. Happily no vandalism, whatever, occurred. The building was used occasionally as late as fall 1994. It was never actually abandoned.

The 1995 renovation maintained the interior floor plan and imposed no major exterior architectural alteration. A small one story addition was built onto the rear as innkeeper quarters. Expansion to 10 guest rooms, in the form of an 18′ wide, full length three-story addition on the north side, along with total remodeling of the existing third floor, occurred during 2001 – 2002. Enlargement and remodeling of the Sam Leff and Browning rooms occurred during the winter of 2006 – 2007.

Site History

The Lake Pointe site has an interesting history. Upon this site converged the three cornerstones of the American Nation.

  1. The flight from European religious persecution: After the 60 year McHenry era, the site was farmed for 58 years by the Glotfelty’s, whose family history turned on Calvinist religious persecution of Mennonites, Amish and Lutherans in Bavaria and Switzerland.
  2. The European-American settlement and westward migration: The site was first settled by one of the Friend brothers, the first European-American settlers in today’s Garrett County.
  3. The Founding of the New Democracy: The site was the summer home and estate of Dr. James McHenry, prominent Revolutionary War and early Federal personage.

The House was built in 1889-90 by Jonas Glotfelty, who acquired the farm from his father William Glotfelty, the first Glotfelty to settle (1848) in now Garrett County, Maryland. The farm passed from the McHenry family to the Glotfelty family in 1868. Jonas Glotfelty’s great grandfather was Solomon Glotfelty, of Salisbury, Pennsylvania. Solomon Glattfelder (later changed to Glotfelty) came from Switzerland as a small boy, likely in the 1740’s-1750’s. Most of those emigrating to colonial America from the Rhine River area of Switzerland in 1730-1776 were religiously persecuted Mennonites, Amish & Lutherans. Majority Swiss Calvinists imprisoned Mennonites and Amish with threats of hanging or burning. Some needed armed escorts to leave Switzerland!

John Friend Sr., his brothers Charles and Andrew, his father Nicholas and their families were the first European Americans to settle in present day Garrett County in 1765. The Friend family in American went back to 1675. The Friend’s farm, near the Potomac River in Virginia, was flooded out in 1764. John Friend walked up the Potomac River and crossed the Eastern Continental Divide in search of a new place to live.

The King of England, to pacify native Americans and end the French and Indian War in 1763, prohibited settlement west of the Eastern Continental Divide. Native Americans apparently had no permanent settlements on the Appalachian Plateau, which include most of today’s Garrett County, Maryland, due to severe winters. The Native Americans did have many summer hunting camps to pursue the plentiful game, including bison, of the upland glades, grasslands and forest. There was a Native American permanent settlement on the Youghiogheny River in the lower lying northwest corner of today’s Garrett County. It was here that John Friend and brothers “purchased” Native American fields and habitats from the inhabitants, after joining the natives in “celebrating the first white men to come to that area.”

In spring 1765 the Friends returned to stay. Of course, they were “squatters” in violation of the King’s 1763 Proclamation. Also, the Colonial proprietor of Maryland, Lord Baltimore, claimed extensive lands ” west of Fort Cumberland” as his private domain. Some unauthorized settlement continued until 1774 when Lord Baltimore opened the area to settlement.

John Friend built his log cabin on his claim that is the site of present day Friendsville, Maryland. His brother, Charles settled at the Big Boiling Spring in Buffalo Marsh, seven miles south of John. Buffalo Marsh was named by hunters in the 1700’s when they found remains of a bison mired in the marsh. Marsh Hill (ski area) & Marsh Hill Rd. take their names from Buffalo Marsh.

The construction of Deep Creek Lake in 1923-1925 flooded the Big Boiling Spring and the Buffalo Marsh, which is now the lake cove sitting just 13 feet from the present day Inn. Thus, this site was one of three simultaneous first white settlements, by the three Friend brothers, in 1765 in present day Garrett County, Maryland. The Friend family patriarch, Nicholas Friend, is buried “in a hollow chestnut log” at Big Boiling Spring. The grave is now covered by the McHenry inlet of Deep Creek Lake in front of the Inn.

Between 1765 and 1774 only a few settlers squatted on land in present day Garrett County. In 1774, Lord Baltimore opened the area to Land Patent and Settlement. A flurry of surveys followed, by well connected and influential Maryland speculators patenting large tracts to be sold later to farmer-settlers. The Shawnee War of 1774 dampened settlement interest and then the American Declaration of Independence in 1776 put western settlement on hold. At that time, July 4, 1776, only about one dozen families lived in the 600+ square miles of today’s Garrett County, Maryland. Five men from these families responded to a call to enroll in militia companies of the Maryland Revolutionary convention.

In 1778 the Maryland General Assembly reserved all unpatented lands “westward of Fort Cumberland” for Maryland soldiers of the Revolution. As a recruitment incentive, a bounty of 50 acres to each soldier promising 3 year service was voted. In 1780, lands of Lord Baltimore in the Alleghenies were confiscated by the State. In 1787, Georgetown surveyor Colonel Francis Deakins laid out 4,165 fifty acre lots for war veterans in Western Maryland. Of 4,165 lots surveyed, 2,575 were actually allotted to veterans. Most sold them at once to speculators, averaging 12 dollars per 50 acre lot. Only two recipients actually occupied their land.

Also in 1787, Maryland undertook to dispose of its remaining western lands to encourage settlement. In the 1790 census, there still were less than 100 families in present Garrett County.

“Buffalo Marsh took its name from the fact that the carcass of a large bison had been found in the deep mud of the marsh by the first white men who ever set foot in the beautiful glade.”

Meschach Browning chronicled much of the early 1800’s settlement and happenings around the present day McHenry, Maryland in his book “44 Years in the Life of a Hunter.” At the time Browning lived about a mile or so north of McHenry. Browning wrote, “By this time (1823) we had several new neighbors — Captain Campbell, from Frederick County, with his family, and son-in-law, James Cunningham; and also Dr. James McHenry of Baltimore, and John McHenry, who settled at Buffalo Marsh.”

During the Revolutionary war, Dr. James McHenry had been a surgeon and secretary to General George Washington. Dr. McHenry also served on General Lafayette’s staff, as a Major, until 1781. Baltimore’s Fort McHenry, the British siege of which (War of 1812) inspired Francis Scott Key’s anthem “Star Spangled Banner”, is named for Dr. James McHenry. He was Secretary of War (today Secretary of Defense) under Presidents Washington and Adams and was one, of three, Maryland signers of the United States Constitution.

On March 4, 1808, Dr. McHenry acquired Buffalo Marsh, including the site of the Inn, when he purchased 7,873 acres. Dr. McHenry noted,” I like this country, its salubrious air, its mild summers, its interesting views made up of hills, woods, glades, streams and mountains; above all it delights me as affording at my time of life a solitary retirement – from the busy world and its cares. I do not feel disposed to wander further or to quit it in a hurry. Indeed did it quadrate with the interest of the whole of my family to fix here I should never move from the spot I am now on,” he wrote of Buffalo Marsh in 1810.

Dr. McHenry et al, eventually owned over 20,000 acres at present day McHenry, Maryland. This large farming estate was operated by Dr. McHenry’s cousin John McHenry and by Dr. McHenry’s son, Daniel McHenry. Daniel McHenry lived in a log cabin at Buffalo Marsh by the Big Boiling Spring. After Daniel died from being thrown from a horse in 1814, John moved from nearby to Buffalo Marsh where he lived most of his life.

Buffalo Marsh was Dr. McHenry’s summer home, though he spent the winter of 1812-1813 there. Dr. McHenry died in 1816. In 1815 John McHenry built the log house, occupied in 1888-1890 by Jonas Glotfelty when he built the current house. John McHenry filled important American diplomatic posts in The Hague and other European capitals.

On February 22, 1875, a U.S. Post office was opened at the “Buffalo Marsh” or “McHenry’s Gate.” The “new post office was named ‘McHenry’, in honor of James McHenry, Secretary of War under Washington and Adams.”

Finally, George Washington apparently actually did “sleep here.” Washington, in a 1784 visit, stayed with Charles Friend at his cabin. Washington wrote in his journal “Friend is a great Hunter, and well acquainted with all the waters, as well as hills, having lived in this country and followed no other occupation for nine years.”


Henry Ford and Thomas Edison — a friendship of giants
By Patricia Zacharias / The Detroit News

Friends Henry Ford, Thomas Edison and Harvey Firestone pictured with President Warren G. Harding on a camping trip that the four took together in Maryland with members of their families, July 23-24, 1921.

Thomas Alva Edison, the wizard of Menlo Park, was an inventive genius who also was capable of seeing and encouraging genius in others — a fact that may have led Henry Ford to spark the automobile age, and certainly cemented a 35-year friendship between the two giants.

As a young man on his father’s farm in Dearborn, Henry Ford had followed Thomas Edison’s career. Henry took a job at the Edison Illuminating Company, which later became Detroit Edison, and soon worked his way up to chief engineer.

In 1896, Ford and Alex Dow attended a company-sponsored convention in Manhattan Beach, New York. Edison was the guest of honor at the evening’s banquet. Alex Dow pointed out Ford to Edison, telling him “There’s a young fellow who has made a gas car.” Edison asked young Henry Ford a host of questions and when the interview was over, Edison emphasized his satisfaction by banging his fist down on the table. “Young man,” he said, “that’s the thing! You have it! Your car is self contained and carries its own power plant.”

Years later, Ford, reflecting on their first meeting, said in a newspaper interview, “That bang on the table was worth worlds to me. No man up to then had given me any encouragement. I had hoped that I was headed right. Sometimes I knew that I was, sometimes I only wondered, but here, all at once and out of a clear sky, the greatest inventive genius in the world had given me complete approval. The man who knew most about electricity in the world had said that for the purpose, my gas motor was better than any electric motor could be.”

Ford never forgot those words of encouragement. After that initial meeting, Ford was always very close to Edison. When Ford became a wealthy industrialist, he cooperated with Edison in technical and scientific projects. He convinced Edison to devote significant research to finding a substitute for rubber.

Together with John Burroughs, naturalist Luther Burbank, Harvey Firestone and occasionally, President Harding, Ford and Edison participated in a series of camping trips. A major source of fun for Ford and Edison was building dams on small streams and examining old mills for a calculation of the power output.

“They think in terms of power,” Firestone wrote. After his first experience with the Nature Club, President Harding joined the group whenever he could.

En route to a new campsite on a rainy day, the Lincoln touring car carrying Harding, Ford, Edison, Firestone and naturalist Luther Burbank bogged down in deep mud on a back road in West Virginia. Ford’s chauffeur went for help and returned with a farmer driving an ancient Model T. After the Lincoln was yanked from the mire, Ford was the first to shake the farmer’s hand.

“I guess you don’t know me but I’m Henry Ford. I made the car you’re driving.”

Firestone chimed in, “I’m the man who made those tires.” Then he introduced two of the campers: “Meet the man who invented the electric light — and the President of the United States.”

Luther Burbank was the last to shake hands. “I guess you don’t know me either?” he asked.

“No,” said the farmer, “but if you’re the same kind of liar as these other darn fools, I wouldn’t be surprised if you said you was Santa Claus.”

The vagabond camping trips ended following the death of President Harding.

Edison, on the advice of his doctors, left his home in Menlo Park, N.J., for the warmer climate of Fort Myers, Fla. As would be expected of a man with 1,097 patented inventions, Edison outfitted the home with all kinds of novelties. There was an intercom system which he mischievously used to startle guests, and lights in the closet that blinked on automatically whenever the doors were opened. Edison also had the kitchen built in another building instead of the main house because he didn’t like to smell food cooking.

Ford was a regular visitor. In 1916, when the seven-bedroom home next door became available, Ford bought it. A wooden fence separated the two estates, but the gate always stood open and became known as the “friendship gate.” When Edison’s doctors ordered him into a wheelchair in the last years of his life, Ford, still brisk and active, bought one too so they could race around the grounds together.

In October 1929, on the 50th anniversary of the light bulb, Ford established the Edison Institute, which now operates Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn.

Even the rainy weather that October couldn’t put a damper on the festivities. Crowds lined 30 miles of Detroit streets to cheer Edison, President Hoover and 500 nationally and internationally known guests as they drove to the museum.

The ceremonies featured the re-enactment of the invention of the first successful incandescent bulb in the original Menlo Park laboratory, which had been moved by Henry Ford with other significant buildings to the Village.

Ford had brought in seven railroad cars of New Jersey soil to place around the buildings for complete accuracy. He even tried to get an old elm tree that stood near the door of the lab, but had to settle for a cutting of the old tree planted in the same spot.

Edison was pleased with Ford’s efforts, remarking that Ford got everything 99-9/10ths perfect. The inaccuracy, he told Ford, was that “our floor was never this clean.”

Ford and Edison’s assistant, Francis Jehl, who was with Edison when he developed his successful incandescent lamp, helped in the re-enactment. Nationwide, people turned on their electric lights in honor of the historic event. Later in the banquet hall, Edison stood up to speak, his snow-white hair disheveled, his hands and voice a bit shaky.

“I would be embarrassed at the honors that are being heaped upon me this unforgettable night were it not for the fact that in honoring me, you are also honoring that vast army of thinkers and workers of the past. If I have helped spur men to greater effort, if our work has widened the horizon of thousands of men and given a measure of happiness in the world, I am content.”

His last words were for Henry Ford. “I can only say that in the fullest meaning of the term, he is my friend.”

Bibliographic Note: Edison As I Know Him, by Henry Ford; Edison, Inventing the Century, by Neil Baldwin; Detroit’s Coming of Age, by Don Lochbiler and the clip and photo files of The Detroit News.

(This story was compiled using clip and photo files of The Detroit News.)



OaklandThe name “Oakland” was the suggestion of Ingaba McCarty, daughter of Edward McCarty. He had subdivided some of his land into a series of building lots, and was seeking a name for the proposed community to be built on the lots in 1849. Thus, Oakland developed from the original sub-division of the McCarty land. However, the McCarty’s were not the first settlers in this area.

Three Indian trails came together just west of Oakland in the Washington Spring area. There was a large Indian camp in there, where the Indians came to hunt and fish and trade with other Indians for hundreds of years. It wasn’t until the 1790’s that a man named Boyle built a cabin in the same area. He was the first white man to settle in the immediate area of Oakland.

In 1851, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad came through Oakland, and from that time onward, the town really began to grow. In 1862 it was incorporated as a town with its own form of government. However, the first leader of the town council was called a “Burgess”, and it was not until 1886 that they were called “Mayor”. After Garrett County was formed in 1872, Oakland was chosen as the county seat.

OaklandDuring the Civil War, Oakland was in union territory, but that did not prevent Confederate soldiers from raiding the town on April 24, 1863. Later, two famous Union Generals lived in Oakland: General Crook and General Kelly.

Oakland has always had an excellent climate in the summer months, and two well-known hotels were built in the town. The first one was the Glades Hotel, constructed in the late 1850’s. It was followed by the Oakland Hotel in 1875, which was owned by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

After the Civil War ended, the lumber business in the area around Oakland brought in a lot of business and the town grew larger. Lumber was followed by coal mining in the 1900’s. Since that time, other businesses have increased the size of the town.

Unfortunately, the town has not been free from disasters. The first was the flood of 1896, and it was followed by a series of floods, which finally ended in 1970 with the completion of the flood impoundment dams. Downtown Oakland has also had two disastrous fires. The first was in 1898; the second in 1994. Each one of them destroyed business places in the town.



RailroadThe original railroad station in Oakland was built when the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad came through this part of Garrett County in 1851. The entrance of the railroad to this part of the county produced an upturn in the economy of the community and Oakland began to increase in size. Across the station, a hotel was built around 1855, and was called the Glades Hotel. (This part of Garrett County was known as “The Glades” or sometimes “Yough Glades”.)  Passenger trains would stop in the Oakland station long enough to allow passengers to eat meals at the Glades Hotel.

In 1875, the Railroad built a large resort hotel on the hillside across from the station, and a bridge connected the station platform with the walkways and roads in the hotel grounds. The wooden platform was eventually extended all the way up the east side of the tracks to the Second Street railroad crossing.

HotelUnfortunately, the Glades Hotel burned down in 1884, and while burning, set fire to the Oakland station, destroying it at the same time. Since the station was an important part of the Oakland Hotel complex, a second station was built in 1884 and it is the present building.

At one time, the railroad station was a busy place. A telegraph office was installed, and “train orders” were issued through this telegraph office. It also served as western Union telegraph office for people of Oakland. There was a large water tank beside the station to refill the supply of steam locomotives passing through. The Railway Express Agency operated from the baggage room of the station. (Today, UPS handles this kind of business.)

The last regular eastbound Baltimore and Ohio passenger train departed from Oakland on April 30, 1971. After that, Amtrak operated trains through Oakland for the next five years. Eventually, the station was closed as a passenger station and used as headquarters for railroad maintenance and signal gangs. Today it is run as a visitor’s center.



Following is the legend most frequently told by the local citizens:

About the year 1751, a grant of land was given to Mr. George Deakins by King George II of England in payment of a debt. According to the terms, Mr. Eakins was to receive 600 acres of land anywhere in Western Maryland he chose. Mr. Deakins sent out two corps of engineers, each without knowledge of the other group, to survey the best land in this section that contained 600 acres.

After the survey, the engineers returned with their maps of the plots they had surveyed. To their surprise, they discovered that they had a surveyed a tract of land starting at the same tall oak tree and returning to the starting point. Mr. Deakins chose this plot of ground and had it patented “The Accident Tract” – hence, the name of the town.

It is uncertain whether this story is legendary or factual. The Town’s local historian, Mary Miller Strauss, has provided this account on the settlement of Accident.

Hunters and trappers were the first white men to discover what is now the Accident Valley, located on the plateau of the Allegheny Mountains in Maryland’s western uplands. The vale and surrounding hills in the year 1800 were an area of gigantic growth of virgin timber. Here was a wilderness of beautiful broad-leaved trees and hemlocks. Under the thick growth of hardwoods and evergreens were the lush bushes of flowering rhododendrons and many species of ferns. The valley is drained by little streams flowing from its southern part into South Bear Creek and from its northern part into the mainstream of Bear Creek.

HorsesThe Indians hunted here, camped here, and passed through, but never chose the site to build a village. There was one barely passable “road” known as Seneca Trail, a few other Indian Trails used for foot travel and pack horses, and a small house that probably was built by the Lamars sometime before 1798.

How did this spot get the name “Accident?” To this very day it remains somewhat of a mystery. There are number of stories advocating the name’s origin, but the following is probably the most nearly correct story of the “accident” at least it checks with the land records.

In 1774 Lord Baltimore, Proprietor of the Maryland Colony, opened his lands “westward of Fort Cumberland” for settlement, and among the speculators who hastened to western Maryland with their surveyors to secure choice tracts of land were Brooke Beall and William Deakins, Jr., both of Prince George’s County. William Deakins and his brother Francis had warrants for several tracts, and on April 14, 1774, they surveyed a fine tract of 682 acres between the branches of Bear Creek, including an old Indian camp ground on the trail to Braddock’s Road. But when the survey was completed, Brooke Beall and his party appeared on the scene and Beall claimed that he had selected the same tract for his survey, calling attention to his axe marks on the trees to prove his claim. Deakins replied that it appeared that they had selected the same land “by accident”. Since he and Beall were friends and land was abundant, he proposed that Beall take over the survey already made. To this Beall agreed, although his warrant called for 778 acres. John Hanson, Jr., Deputy County Surveyor, made out the survey to Beall, and they named the tract Accident.


Some Historical Information About Garrett County, Provided by the Historical Society of Garrett County

Garrett County
PostcardThis county was separated form Allegany in 1872, and was named “Garrett” in honor of Mr. John W. Garrett, President of the B & O Railroad. Oakland was chosen as County Seat by a majority vote at the time of separation; it had been incorporated as a town in 1862.

Old Voting Places 
In the early 1800’s there were two voting places in this area. The one at Selbysport was called “Sandy Creek Hundred”. The second one, at Swantonk, was called “Glades Hundred”. Prior to the Revolutionary War, all for the land that comprises Garrett and Allegany counties was called “Skipton Hundred”.

Indian Trails 
The County was criss-crossed with a number of Indian Trails. Modern names for some of them are Nemacolin Trail, Bear Camp Path, Seneca Trail, Blooming Rose Path, Ginseng Path, Friends Old Path, Pioneer Cumberland Road, Cuningham Road, Great War Path (McCullough’s Pack Horse Path, Glades Path, and Northwestern Trail.

Maps and Surveys 
Oakland(1736) Benjamin Winslow was the first person to map parts of what is now Garrett County. Frances Deacon completed the survey of “Military Lots” in 1787, 4165 fifty acre lots were to be given as pay to Revolutionary War soldiers. The Mason-Dixon Line (northern boundary of the County) was surveyed in 1767,

Fairfax Stone
(1746) Although located in West Virginia, it marks the meridian of the Maryland – West Virginia boundary.

Hoye Crest
Hoye Crest is located on the top of Backbone Mountain, and named for Captain Charles Hoye. It is the highest point in Maryland, being 3360 feet above sea level.

B & O Railroad
The railroad was completed through the county in 1851. Some 5,000 men worked on the section between Cumberland and Grafton.

Penn Alps
Known as Little Crossings during Colonial Times. Penn Alps is a unique gathering of log cabins, craftsmen’s booths, and a restaurant. In the area, a visitor can see the Casselman River Bridge (1813) and Stanton’s Mill (1794) the oldest continuous business in western Maryland.