Cross country skiing and snowshoeing are two popular ways to spend an afternoon around Deep Creek Lake in Maryland. Both activities are a fun and beautiful way to explore the state’s starkly beautiful winter landscapes. Among our favorite places for cross country skiing are the State and local Parks and forests near us.
whether you’ve come for these winter sports or just want to enjoy a restful few days in our winter wonderland, make sure our Deep Creek Lake Bed and Breakfast is at the heart of it all. Deep Creek Lake is one of the best destinations in the state, and we’re ready to welcome you with the warm hospitality we’re known for. Book your room with us today!
8 Places for Cross Country Skiing
Cross country skiing has long been a popular winter pastime in the Deep Creek Lake area. Garrett County and the surrounding areas near Deep Creek Lake offer miles and miles of cross country skiing trails, many of which were developed in the 1930s. A few of our favorite places to spend a day on skis include the following:
- New Germany State Park is a local gem of a park and a great place to go cross country skiing or snowshoeing. There are 10 miles of trails here that are groomed from the moment the first snows begin to fall. Trails here range from flat and perfect for beginnings, to winding hills more suitable for experienced skiers.
- Herrington Manor State Park is another popular place to spend a winter afternoon. They, too, have 10 miles of trails suitable for snowshoers and cross country skiers. Moreover, there is a 5.5-mile trail that connects Herrington Manor State Park to the exceptionally beautiful winter wonderland found at Swallow Falls State Park. Rentals are available at Herrington Manor State Park.
- Deep Creek Lake State Park has exceptionally beautiful trails for snowshoeing, and the 5.5-mile Meadow Mountain Trail is perfect for cross country skiing or snowmobiling.
- Wisp Resort has much more than downhill skiing and snowboarding. They also have a Nordic center for cross country skiing and snowshoeing.
- For a unique cross country skiing experience, head to Backbone Farm. They even offer instructors if this is your first time trying out these winter sports.
- Blackwater Falls State Park not only has a legendary 1/4-mile long sled run, but it has over 10 miles of cross country skiing and snowshoeing trails to explore. Rentals are available.
- Canaan Valley Resort in nearby West Virginia offers 35 kilometers of marked and ungroomed trails for cross country skiers and snowshoers.
- Explore West Virginia’s beautiful Allegheny Mountains, and head to Dolly Sods Wilderness Area for a relaxing and beautiful day of cross country skiing or snowshoeing on the ungroomed trails here.
If you don’t want to head out on your own and would rather have someone else do all the planning taking a trip with All Earth Eco Tours. They offer a variety of snowshoeing tours, including a moonlit tour in January, February, and March.
The Best Lodging in Deep Creek Lake
At the end of a long and active day in the great outdoors this winter, you’ll be ready to put your feet up and relax. There’s nothing quite as invigorating as a day skiing or snowshoeing through the beautiful Deep Creek Lake area of Maryland. When you need a place to call home for a few days, turn to the Lake Pointe Inn, located on the beautiful shores of Deep Creek Lake.
Begin your perfect day with our delicious, gourmet breakfasts, then come home to comfortable accommodations that simply can’t be beaten. It’s our job to take care of you, while you let your stress melt away. Book your room in our luxury lodging today!