Maryland has no shortage of fun things to do in the winter months. In reality, it’s an adult (and child!) playground for anyone who loves to play in the snow. The Deep Creek Lake area, located in McHenry Maryland, just so happens to be one of the best places to go if you’re looking for an exciting array of things to do this winter.
Get outside and hop on the 25 miles of cross country ski trails in the area, head to Wisp Resort for downhill skiing and snowboarding, explore neighboring parks and forests with nothing more than a pair of snowshoes strapped to your boots, try some ice fishing, or take a romantic sleigh ride through this picturesque winter wonderland.
The Deep Creek Lake area is an exceptional destination to travel to year-round. This winter is no exception! Cap off your adventures with a stay at our luxurious Inn, which is located on the shores of scenic Deep Creek Lake. What’s more, our Inn offers guests a massage room, steam shower, and sauna. We can’t think of a more perfect place to spend a few days this winter. Come see it for yourself, and book a room at our Deep Creek Lake Bed and Breakfast.
10 Things to do This Winter at Deep Creek Lake
If you’ve only ever visited Deep Creek Lake in Maryland during the summer months, you haven’t truly experienced this area yet. If you love to play in the snow, we can’t imagine a better place for you. This winter, come join us at our luxury Bed and Breakfast, and see what this incredible area has to offer!
With an average snowfall of 120 inches, Garrett County Maryland surpasses even Anchorage, AK and Denver, CO for annual snowfall totals. It’s time to head outside, and enjoy these 10 fun things to do in the winter here at Deep Creek Lake!
- Go skiing at Wisp Resort! It’s right across the street from our Bed and Breakfast and offers skiers and snowboarders more than 32 slopes overlooking Deep Creek Lake. There’s even more great skiing in nearby Canaan Valley.
- Go tubing, also located at Wisp Mountain Resort. They provide the tube and offer a conveyor to get you to the top. The tubing runs are an incredible 750 feet long! While you’re there, you might as well hop on the mountain coaster and enjoy even more snowy fun.
- Go cross country skiing! There are miles of trails in the area, but the most popular are at Wisp Resort, Herrington Manor State Park, and New Germany State Park.
- Take a snowshoe hike through the woods, and revel in the unbelievable solitude of winter at Deep Creek Lake. The local area boasts seven state parks with over 70,000 acres of public land suitable for setting out on snowshoes. We even have some for you to borrow while staying at our Deep Creek Lake Bed and Breakfast. All Earth Eco Tours even offers snowshoe tours during the winter months.
- Go ice fishing! The lake encompasses 3,900 acres, 69 miles of shoreline and has a depth of 25 ft. This beautiful frozen tundra during the winter is the perfect place for some ice fishing during the winter. Scores of anglers brave the elements each season to cut a hole in the ice and try their hand at this unique winter sport. Ice fishing requires a license or permit that can be obtained at many local merchants.
- Take a romantic horse-drawn sleigh ride with Pleasant Valley Dream Rides.
- Release some adrenaline and go snowmobiling. You’re welcome to bring your own, but there are also snowmobiles for rent in the area. You’ll need to have a current ORV sticker to ride the lake or any state trails.
- Take a hike to Swallow Falls State Park, and enjoy the incredible ice formations at the frozen waterfall.
- Hark back to the days of your childhood, and go sledding at Blackwater Falls State Park. Talk about the ultimate sledding hill! You get to travel uphill via conveyer, and they have sleds for rent on-site if you didn’t bring your own.
- You don’t have to go far to enjoy some indulgent pampering on Deep Creek Lake. Our Bed and Breakfast offers on-site massages in our massage room, as well as a sauna for your pleasure.
The Best Bed and Breakfast at Deep Creek Lake
Whether you’ve come for skiing or just to enjoy the snowy white scenery at Deep Creek Lake this season, you’ll see in an instant why our Bed and Breakfast is the perfect weekend getaway near Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Washington, DC. Book your room at our Deep Creek Lake Bed and Breakfast today!