There’s a lot to be said for a beer shared with friends, and one of our favorite spots to grab a pint is at Mountain State Brewing. Originated in West Virginia, Mountain State Brewing is the largest and one of the oldest breweries of the area. They have three locations in West Virginia, making the Maryland outpost at Deep Creek Lake the fourth of the bunch. Here you’ll find a relaxed vibe with stunning mountain views.
Our area near Deep Creek Lake is home to many breweries making craft ales, creative brews, and offering great pub grub. After a day boating on the water or hiking the nearby state parks and forests, sitting down for a cold one and hearty meal is one of the best feelings in the world. It’s a drink and meal that you know you’ve earned, which is also what vacation is all about! So make sure to plan on hitting Mountain State Brewing at least once on a visit here.
Our Deep Creek Lake Hotel has just the right laid back lodge vibe, but with luxury touches and amenities. One of our favorite places to have a beer with friends is around our outdoor fire pit, with the lake as your backdrop and a crackling fire to warm you up. We’re located on a cozy nook of Deep Creek Lake, which puts you right nearby all of the things to do here, but also sets you back from the busy tourist areas.
Check out Mountain State Brewing for a Pint
On any given visit to the Mountain State Brewing taproom you’ll find four year round brews: Cold Trail Blonde Ale, Almost Heaven Amber Ale, Seneca IPA, and the Miner’s Daughter Stout. This regular beer selection is rounded out by a list of seasonal releases. In the Fall, you’ll find options like the John Brown Chestnut Ale and Closs’ Harvest (a red ale brewed with oven roasted pumpkins.) No matter the time of year, you’ll find a brew for all to enjoy.
Mountain State Brewing also has a great food menu. Start out with nachos smothered in home made spicy beef chili or their famous spinach and artichoke dip. Next up you’ll find a large selection of salads, sandwiches, and flatbreads with creative combos. Don’t miss the local Mountain State Brewing favorite pizza pie with Alfredo sauce, roasted chicken, spinach, dried cranberries, and nutmeg. Believe us, it’s tasty!
Thankfully, Mountain State Brewing is just around the bend from our Deep Creek Lake Hotel (a quick three minute drive.) It’s a great spot to grab beer and pizza to go and bring it back to the Inn for a nice and cozy night in.
Head to these Other Deep Creek Lake Breweries for an Ale
After you’ve checked out Mountain State Brewing, there are few other local breweries making tasty craft beers.
- Short Story Brewing: Just a short five minute drive around the lake brings you to this local taproom serving up the Argonaut Helles Lager, Chasing Daylight IPA, and the Captain Eye Dunkel. You’ll also find appetizers like pretzels with beer cheese and wings, and hearty hoagie sandwiches.
- High Ground Brewing: This brewery is great one to visit after hiking at Swallow Falls State Park. They brew a lot of creative ales and IPAs, and host food trucks on a rotational basis. Be sure to also check out their Russian Imperials and Meads for a little something different.
- Screech Owl Brewing: This brewery is a bit off the beaten path, but it’s sure to be worth the 30 minute drive out to the West Virginia countryside. The whimsical space and fun fruit beers are a treat. Plus home cooked comfort food from chili dogs to meaty pizza combos. Whatever you do, save room for pie!
- Big Sandy Brewing: A newcomer to the beer scene in Bruceton Mills, West Virginia, Big Sandy Brewing opened just this year. They serve classic hot dogs to pair with their home brew style beers. Also check out their non-alcoholic birch beer.
- McHenry Beverage Shoppe: If you’re not in the mood to head to a local Deep Creek Brewery, this local wine and beer shop is the best place to stock up. With more than 500 beer varieties from local to international, there’s a beverage for everyone here. Plus thousands of selections of wine and as well as spirits.
Cozy and Comfortable Deep Creek Lodging for Fall
Fall is a particularly beautiful time to visit Deep Creek Lake. If you do choose to visit Mountain State Brewing for a pint, the view will be awash in the stunning colors we’re known for here in autumn. The fall foliage around Deep Creek Lake pops as well, and highly visible from the grounds and windows of our Arts and Crafts-Style Inn. It makes cruising the lake or finding a comfortable spot on our wrap around porch all the more relaxing.
The guest rooms at our Deep Creek Lake Hotel are all equipped with comfort in mind. We also offer multiple ways to enhance your stay—from the little things like mimosa kits or wine and cheese in your room on arrival or bigger treats including private boat tours or an hour long massage. Just give a call ahead and we’ll have you all set up at check-in. Peruse our availability and book your next stay today!